the tessellation

 My research interests have included tile, pattern and repetition for some time.  Travels to Turkey only accentuated this focus.  Whether the grilles on domestic doors or the remarkable tile in mosques throughout the country, these patterns have influenced the surfaces of my pots.  



Working in Rhino to create a surface pattern is not an unusual prospect for me.  I have used Photoshop to generate patterns from hand drawn elements and these files were burned as screens.  The resulting hand silkscreened paper was used as backdrops in two major installations (access images of this work here: 
http://mlceramics.com/portfolio-foureyes.php).  

I also foster a love of quilts, especially those of Gee's Bend that employ a less structured approach to quilt building.  In addition I seek patterns from the everyday environment.  Here I look for places where the repeat isn't obvious, or intended.  


Perhaps the rhythm of the repeat skips a beat.  I look for places where the makers made specific choices that have reverberated throughout history.  Pavements and fences often provide these moments for me.  

What I love in the two images from Istanbul below is the way these pavers were carved to mimic smaller cobblestones.  It is a curious space saving method that is superseded with another pattern over time.








Comments