beginning with building blocks

 Assignment Number One: Castle

Sometimes it's hard to think innovatively when the prompt is something as iconic as 'CASTLE'.  I had ideas of what tools I was interested to work with - extending out shapes vertically and lofting and capping them to make solids.  The 'grid snap' was appealing as it caters to my rectilinear tendencies.  The reality of how I worked through the project however was much different.  


view one:  the front door (shaded)


view two: side view showing tumble stack (shaded)














view three and four - top view (left) and rear door (right) (pen render)

On the following day I sat down with my five year old daughter and we played together with her building blocks.  The results led me to my solution.  I worked without the grid-snap.  I made cubes and boxes out of the solid tool (rather than lofting the forms).  I relied heavily on the gumball tool to place the blocks in place.  This castle was imagined as an archaic form of haphazard safety.  

I had ambitions to build out surface patterns and textures similar to building blocks we played with and recognized early that it was a bit out of my reach at this time.  I do enjoy the overall appearance, but upon closer examination you would notice the places where true physics have been ignored and blocks are resting precariously or not at all.  



Comments

  1. Very natural looking physics, great attention to detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple concept with lovely execution. I love that the one consistent shape is repeated in multiple orientations and angles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment