explosion for the sake of knowledge

 

the idea of an explosion often brings the idea of destruction to mind.  The object I choose to be the subject of this project may indeed be destroyed, but the digital three dimensional dissection of it will be the result of the experiment.  in thinking about objects that would be interesting to consider I began looking around at what was close at hand.  I work on an old drafting table with an articulated top that can rotate.  It's too big to be used for this project.  Needless to say it would also be hard to take apart the object you need to work on while working on the project to take apart the desk. 

my next object is a potential contender 

this is the basic IKEA desk light.  I have had some version of this light as a part of my workspace since I was a teenager.  
 

I enjoy the simplicity of the articulated elbows.  

I am intrigued by how the springs may be rendered in Rhino. I am uncertain I will be able to fully take it apart in order to measure all the components in a way that would allow me to put it back together.  


To bring forward an even further throwback I recently inherited two of these old skool label makers. 
My daughter had a brief moment of fun with this one until it ceased to work.  It has already been taken apart once in an effort to fix it.  I would look forward to rendering the letter wheel and the hidden working parts.  

and finally, there has been a lot of gardening going on lately and these are a loved pair of snips. 
Again, at risk is that not everything can be measured without fully taking the object apart - and then can it be put back together in a way that renders it functional once again?


I am torn, but perhaps the label maker is the best fit for the parameters of the assignment - and perhaps I would be able to print an operable one in the future from the files generate by the assignment.














Comments